Golden, Colorado

Chapter History

Golden, Colorado

History of Our Name

Lookout Mountain stands at the west edge of the city of Golden, Colorado. Ute Indians used the mountain as a campground and lookout to detect the approach of enemies. Their smoke-stained teepees sat back on the mountain among the springs and woods while the Arapahoe lived far to the east on the plains near present-day Denver. At a meeting in 1922, prospective members selected several names, among them “Mount Lookout,” and the National Society selected it as the most appropriate.

Historic Highlights

On June 15, 1923 Mount Lookout Chapter, NSDAR organized with 17 daughters. Mrs. L. D. Roberts served as Organizing Regent. The first regular chapter meeting was held on December 3, 1923. For many years, meetings were held in the members’ homes and local dues of 25 cents per member were assessed.

At the second meeting in January 1924, the chapter became involved in the preservation and marking of historic Golden sites. Preservation efforts, patriotic work, and markers placed by the chapter over the years include:

  • Site of the first building erected in Golden. A huge wind-carved boulder was placed in 1927 in Parfet Park on the spot where the Old Boston Building, a one and one-half story, sturdy, log building, once stood.
  • Site of the first Territorial Legislature. The Loveland Building served as the first Territorial Capital between 1862 and 1867. A bronze plaque was placed in 1936 on the 12th St side of the building that is now the Capital Grille.
  • Site of first building of the Colorado School of Mines. Granite marker placed in 1949 on what is now the Lookout Mountain School for Boys campus.
  • Perpetual care for the grave of Captain E. L. Berthoud. Captain Berthoud was an extraordinary Golden pioneer, explorer, soldier, and scientist. Care was later assumed by the city of Golden, funded by Mount Lookout Chapter as a Bicentennial project.
  • Sponsoring of the Golden Pioneer Museum. The chapter managed the museum for 54 years, beginning 1954. In 2008 the city took over management of the museum and renamed it the Golden History Museum.
  • Rededication of Golden’s Liberty Bell, which is in front of the Golden Pioneer Museum and City Hall. It contained a sealed box that was opened by the city can chapter members in the year 2018.
  • Establishment of DAR Triangle Park along Clear Creek between Washington Avenue and the Golden Visitors Center. Each year trees, a granite marker, picnic tables or benches were added to the park.
  • Continuing beautification of city parks. Trees and flowers planted throughout Golden.
  • Service to veterans and active duty military. annual participation in DAR Gold ROTC Medal presentations at Colorado School of Mines, Memorial Day Wreath Laying Ceremonies, volunteering and donations given to Golden VA Outpatient Clinic, and Wreaths Across America at the Golden Cemetery (an event brought to the city by the chapter).
  • Cannonball Creek Society, N.S.C.A.R. was organized by the chapter in 2004.
  • Placing of an America 250 Marker at DAR Triangle Park in honor of our Revolutionary War Patriots and America’s Semiquincentennial.